[DC LoCo] Equipment Pick-up

Nicholas Wheeler dragoncow2 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 15:46:05 BST 2008

Along similar lines.....I think it'd be great if we could establish
recurring acceptance of equipment from the government and/or
corporation, and have a nice place to store this equipment. Then we
could be more proactive about seeking community centers/libraries/etc
and already have the equipment necessary to set up a lab. I know we've
experienced difficulties in getting existing-labs in community centers
to transition to Ubuntu, but community centers and libraries without
labs at all are much easier to target -- especially if we have free
equipment and labour for them..it's kinda hard to say no to that.

-- Nicholas Wheeler

PS: I hope to be more active in this realm during the summer.

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 6:55 PM, Sanjay Jain <oss.cleveland at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Jeremy,
>
> I was thinking along similar lines... please give them a call to see what
> they'll allow, I'll be interested in helping out if you get something
> going.
>
> And what about handing out fliers at the event? I was thinking something
> cheesy like:
>
> Thank you for recycling, you may be interested to know that you can extend
> the life of your computer by using Free and Open Source Software like
> Ubuntu. etc etc...
>
> Hey!! what about a desk at the event !!!!
>
> ~sanjay
>

> "Jeremy C." <jeremyc4 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  Speaking of free goodies .. Is there any way we could arrange to pillage
> some equipment from this effort?
>
> http://www.epa.gov/oei/ecycling
>
> and keeping with the theme ...
>
> Ran across this in the latest Creative Commons newsletter ...
>
>  http://creativecommons.org/weblog/entry/8081
>

> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 4:05 PM, Sanjay Jain <oss.cleveland at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > A downtown DC law firm has some equipment they are disposing of, I went
> there to see what's good for reuse, there are 3 or 4 PIIIs (the rest of the
> PCs look too old to use) and whole bunch of monitors, keyboards etc...
> >
> > If some one has transport, I'd like to ask for help, to move some stuff to
> Chevy Chase where we have use of a basement for workspace.
> >
> > If you want some of the stuff please, PLEASE ask :)
> >
> > ~sanjay

>  --

Nicholas Wheeler
Systems Administrator