[DC LoCo] GW University network question

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 07:08:19 GMT 2007

On Dec 19, 2007 1:27 AM, Troy Lenze <tlenze at gmail.com> wrote:

> I recently turned a friend onto Ubuntu, and he's looking to buy a
> Linux-based laptop.  He teaches at George Washington University, and
> when he contacted them about using their wireless network with Linux,
> they said they don't support Linux.  Now, that could mean anything from
> they don't allow Linux computers on the network to just not helping you
> if you have any problems.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with GW's wireless network?  I'd love to
> tell me friend to go ahead and get the laptop.

They don't support it, but if you go to Student Technology Services, they
have about 500 copies of an instruction sheet I made up over the summer
sitting on the counter for Linux-users to grab.  I was offered a job when I
handed them that because apparently none of the higher-ups in STS or ISS who
were Linux users even knew it was possible.  Go figure :P  Directions can be
found on my blog at
http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com/2007/05/my-school-claims-linux-users-cant-get.htmlbut
I'll separately send you a copy of the handout, Troy, since it's more
specific to GWU.

Also, I recommend ZaReason for the laptop.  They're extremely good about
customer service, from what I've read.  I've emailed the CEO and gotten
next-day responses twice (note that I tend to email around now, when
businesses are closed, so it's more like she responded when it showed up in
her inbox the next morning).  They go for the type of customers that say a
Dell pre-installed system is useless because they'll reinstall anyway to get
such-and-such partitioning or because they want 64bit or they like LVM or
whatever.    If you ask for a customization, they'll probably say yes.  If
they don't say yes at first, it's probably because they said "let us test it
to be sure that'll work well for you."

--
Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169