[CoLoCo] Ubuntu-us-co Digest, Vol 47, Issue 40

Ian Santopietro isantop at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 18:58:08 UTC 2011

Hi Jerry.

That's basically Ubuntu letting you know that there are updates available
for your system. Specifically, it checks for updated versions of software
packages on your system, then displays that when you login. In your case,
there are new versions of 33 different packages available. Of those 33, 15
of them are updates related to security, rather than bug fixes.

You can take care of getting the updates by running these commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

That will download the latest package information, just in case another
update or two sneaked in since you logged in. Then, it will automatically
download and install any available updates.

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 11:07, Jerry Windsor <jkwindsor at eaton.k12.co.us>wrote:

> I work for Eaton Schools, and we have about 150 computers running Ubuntu
> Lucid.
>
> I have an interesting thing showing up if I ssh into some of my computers.
>  I get the following info.  I don't under stand the second set of package
> and updates.  If anyone could shed some light on this it would be very
> helpful.
>
> Welcome to Ubuntu!
>  * Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com/
>
> 0 packages can be updated.
> 0 updates are security updates.
>
> Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS
>
> Welcome to Ubuntu!
>  * Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com/
>
> 33 packages can be updated.
> 15 updates are security updates.
>
> You have new mail.
> Last login: Wed Apr 20 10:34:01 2011 from 172.16.1.50
>

> Jerry Windsor
> Eaton Schools RE-2
> 970-454-5132
>
> A house is not a home unless it contains food and fire for the mind as well
> as the body.
> Benjamin Franklin

Ian Santopietro

"Eala Earendel enlga beorohtast