[CoLoCo] Dell d600 won't shut down

Jim Hutchinson jim at ubuntu-rocks.org
Sun Jul 18 23:57:55 BST 2010

I can't offer any specific fix for the laptops, only previous experience.
I've used various releases of Ubuntu on D505, D610, D620, and I think a
D810. All of them have worked without any real hitch. Some needed wifi
drivers but that's about it. None ever had a shutdown issue. Sleep, yes, but
never shutdown. I always shut them down for the "power" menu usually up in
the top right corner. Some would pop up a shutdown/sleep menu if the power
button was pushed and would shutdown if that option was selected.

While I never experienced these types of issues on the Dell laptops, I did
have some issues on a desktop that I built and a much older Dell (circa
2000) desktop. With those it turned out to be ACPI related and there were
some options that could be issued at boot or in the boot command that
helped. I don't remember exactly how I did it, but if you can find some info
on ACPI and Ubuntu it might help. Just a thought at least.

Jim

Jim (Ubuntu geek extraordinaire)
----