[CoLoCo] Hardy Display Issues

Michael "TheZorch" Haney thezorch at gmail.com
Sat May 24 00:15:09 BST 2008

I've finally bit the bullet and did the upgrade to 8.04, but I've got
something of a problem.  Both Ubuntu and Xubuntu (8.04) have the same
issue, when I install the OS I can choose up to 800x600 for my
resolution which is what I want, actually I'd prefer 1024x768, but after
installing the Nvidia driver my screen resolution is limited to only
640x480 and I can't increase it.  Both versions of 8.04 had the same
screen resolution problem after the drivers were installed.  What can I
do to get it so I can set the resolution to 800x600 or higher?  640x480
is unusable since many of the windows are cut off at the button hiding
the CLOSE and APPLY buttons.

To help here's that stats of the system I'm installing 8.04 onto:
This is my desktop system, I haven't tried the AMD64 Ubuntu yet on my laptop
AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 1.2GHz
1GB PC2700 RAM
WD 160GB IDE HDD
8x AGP Nvidia GeForce FX 5600 w/256MB DDR RAM
Sun Microsystems 27'in. VGA Compatible Display (max resolution of 1280x1024)
Creative SoundBlaster Live! 24-bit Internal
Realtech 10/100 Ethernet Adapter

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch at gmail.com