[CoLoCo] Dual-boot and wine options

Kevin Fries kfries at cctus.com
Thu Jun 19 21:25:53 BST 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-19 at 11:30 -0600, David Overcash wrote:

> Yeah...  I was going to ask the same thing...  Why is the school
> getting any Linux machines at all?  Especially considering they are
> for staff and faculty use (placing them in the hands of the least
> computer savvy people in the entire school) rather than students seems
> a bit strange.  I'm all for it, and if you need help I'd love to!  I
> guess I'm just curious as to how they arrived at this decision (or if
> it was more of your encouragement and suggestions that landed them
> there).
>
> -David

Funny thing is, from an admin standpoint, where users are not assigned
one on one to equipment (such as in a school or a library), Linux is far
superior an OS than either Windows or Mac.  However, it takes the
schools to understand that, and to look at a different model than they
are accustom to.  Properly setup in a school, you should be buying one
large computer, cost 3-5 times a normal desktop, and add terminal
connections to it.  Then connect 10-15 dumb terminals.  From an
administration standpoint, a security standpoint, a cost standpoint, and
a maintenance standpoint, the Linux solution is far better.  But it is
different, and so its easier for school districts to buy into the false
Microsoft propaganda telling them otherwise.

Here is a link to a place that does it right...

  http://www2.userful.com

Once the MS propaganda is shown as the BS it is, these guys have a
pretty successful sales rate.  So, should a school be using Linux...
ABSOLUTELY!

-
Kevin Fries
Senior Linux Engineer
Computer and Communications Technology, Inc
A Division of Japan Communications Inc.