[CoLoCo] Random Number Generators

TJ Heaney tjheaney at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 18:57:25 GMT 2008

Hi Leina!

Here is what I know from my (limited) experience:

1) Scripts and Programs are able to generate a custom Pseudo-RNG. I have
personally done one using C++. If you would like, I can provide the source
code.

2) This question is a 'maybe' - it all depends on how you configure the
script or program. My source code does not do any graphing per se, but does
display the results in a list

3)Short Answer: a lot. Show you, no, help you learn it, yes. You will want
to look at a few different languages, such as C, C++, Ruby, Perl, and
Python. This list is not a comprehensive one, but it is a good starting
point.

4)The question here is what way do you define better? Do you want something
Faster? Lighter(Program size)? Pretty looking?

5)With PRNGs You have to seed it. What this means to you is that you need a
start point, and that each number is based off the 'current state' so
randomness is not entirely random (see
http://www.lavarnd.org/faq/prng.htmlfor more information)

6)The best advice I can offer is that you don't want to find a method to
test that is so complex that you get frustrated. Focus on the end result,
and the best (for you) way to get there.

Good Luck!

TJ