[CoLoCo] Random Number Generators

Leina Hutchinson leinajay at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 22:01:00 GMT 2008

Dear Ubuntu Team,

My name is Leina and my dad is Jim Hutchinson. I am doing my 6th grade
science project on random number generators and was wondering if you could
answer some of my questions. I want to compare pseudo and true RNGs. I have
been reading a lot about them on random.org. I plan to use 2 dice and roll
them 1000 times but I know it takes a lot of rolling to see the real
probabilities. To do that, I want to use the computer to simulate rolling
dice, but I don't know how. Here are my questions.

   1. How do I get my computer to create random numbers (I use ubuntu)? I
   want it to simulate a rolling of 1 die and 2 dice. The 1 die roll will be to
   see if each number comes up an equal number of times, and 2 dice roll will
   be to add and see a bell curve based on the probabilities of each sum.
   2. Will the computer graph the data for me or do I have to do it on a
   spread sheet?
   3. How many different ways are there to make a computer generate RNs?
   Can you show me how?
   4. Are some ways better than others? If so, what?
   5. Are there certain things that I should be aware of that might
   affect my results?
   6. Do you have any tips of suggestions?

Thank you for you time. Please reply to my email address.
~Leina