[CoLoCo] fixperm for ubuntu?

Kevin Fries kfries at cctus.com
Wed Aug 27 14:35:35 BST 2008

> What does fixperm do?

Its been a while since I used Fedora, but if my memory serves me correctly....

The fixperm is one of those commands that are such a PITA until you need it, like this, then its indispensable.  I also do not believe any Debian based system has an equivalent.

Fedora will store a list of your critical files, along with the ownership and permission data in a file stored somewhere under /etc.  On a regular basis, it will attempt to change the permissions of any file that has had its permissions changed, back to the system default.  Its a kind of file watcher to prevent someone from being able to take control of files the system thinks they shouldn't.  I had several death matches with this file because ClamAV and Amavisd permissions are tricky, and it is often easier to give both accounts the same UID.  To simply change the permissions to one or the other account, the system will try and change it back.  I believe this is part of SeLinux.

Like I said, 99% PITA 1% shear indispensable genius.

Kevin Fires