[CoLoCo] New Name

Nelson E. Ingersoll nelson.ingersoll at email.com
Thu Apr 17 15:06:35 BST 2008

    I think it is safe to say we all know what cult means; both good and
bad.  For me calling Colorado Ubuntu users a cult, even by accident or
happenstance, is neither charming or appealing.

    I was not being entirely flippant when I suggested "Colorado Ubuntu",
or perhaps "Ubuntu Colorado" as a group name.  Short and sweet.  Easy to
remember.  Easy to say.  Communicates well.  And isn't in the least
threatening to someone who, say, is trying to find local, pray friendly,
Ubuntu help.  Each says much of what needs to be said about the group.

    On the other hand, "Coloco" ain't bad either.  Simple to say and
noteworthy.  It has a humorous tinge of the feeling provided by the
objectionable word "cult" and at the same time strongly (in my mind at
least) suggests cooperation.  Given the nature of our group and mission
suggesting cooperation is a good thing, yes?

    I distinctly recall thinking, praise be the Madison Avenue gods, "Coo
coo for CoCo Puffs" when I first read Coloco out loud to myself.  That
thought stuck and now I've infected you too!  8-)

    While writing this email I realized the ONE thing I've never liked
about Coloco as a moniker is that it actually does not really say what we
are about.  Nowhere in the title is to be found "Ubuntu".  So, may I toss
into the ring "Coloco Ubuntu" or "Ubuntu Coloco"?   May haps only as a
teaser to pry open our thinking.

- Nelson