[CoLoCo] Kubuntu?

Brett Trigg brett_trigg at comcast.net
Wed Sep 12 23:34:31 BST 2007

Hi Dave,
    I started with Kubuntu and have it on an old ThinkPad and I like it.
    On my main PC, though, I use gnome.
    Here are the differences and advantages as I see them:

    Gnome is cleaner but can be sparse.  In my KDE menu, for example, I
have a bunch of stuff that I don't want or need but I either installed
it out of curiosity and didn't uninstall or it came with KDE by default.
KDE seems more "Windows"-ish, which was appealing to me at first.  But
on my gnome machine, I have the programs I want and nothing more.
Having said that, I tend to hunt for programs sometimes if I didn't
install them through the Add/Remove programs.  In KDE, stuff just seemed
to populate in the menus and it was easier to find them.
    I love amaroK too, but have gotten used to Rhythmbox (and would
switch to Listen if it would allow me to have my media on a network
share).
    I love digiKam as well, but I also like F-Spot and gThumb.
    Final opinion: KDE looks overdone to me while gnome looks a tad
underdone.
    It all boils down to preference.  At this point, I'm a gnome guy
with a soft spot for KDE.
    As I understand it, though, you could run the apps you want on the
desktop you prefer.
    Am I wrong in this assumption?