[Ubuntu Chicago] Invitation: UniForum Chicago General Meeting Open To The Public

Wayne Schneidman wayne.schneidman at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 04:32:59 UTC 2017

 <http://uniforumchicago.org/>Meetings

Zero to 26,000: My Journey into Open Source with GitHubSteven MaguireThursday
July 27th 2017 at 6:30pm - 8:30pm
Bolingbrook, Fountaindale Library, Meeting Room A
<http://uniforumchicago.org/meetings/OpenSourceUsingGithub.html#GettingThere>
Abstract

Join us at the Bolingbrook Fountaindale Library for what will be a very
interesting, intriguing and useful presentation and discussion hosted by
Steven Maguire that will be of particular interest to those who are looking
into getting into, contributing to and being a part of the open source
world. If you have any questions about what github is all about, how it
works and how to interact with it you won't want to miss this presentation.
You will hear the experiences and perspective from someone who has used
this resource quite a bit.

Background from Steven Maguire: At the beginning of 2015 my GitHub profile
was completely empty and I communicated a goal of contributing to one new
open source project per month throughout the year. Over the next 12 months
my profile grew to include over 40 public repositories, composed mostly of
well tested, well documented, easily implemented, framework agnostic PHP
libraries. Additionally, I was welcomed into the prestigious League of
Extraordinary PHP Packages, where I eventually contributed to the core for
two very popular libraries. Today, my individual packages have been
downloaded and utilized over 26,000 times and I'd like to spend about an
hour sharing some interesting details of this journey with you, and
hopefully inspire you to begin getting involved in the open source
community; it's not as scary as it may seem.

As usual, we will be having a "Meeting After the Meeting" for talk and
drinks afterwards with location to be decided before we leave the
presentation.
Bio

Steven Maguire is a builder of teams, software architect, and product
designer living in Chicago, IL. He is currently using his powers to help
mail delivery suck a little bit less as VP of Technology at Earth Class
Mail. Prior to that he held technical leadership roles at several startups
and medium sized companies.
Getting to the meetingThe next General meeting of UniForum Chicago will be
at:

        Bolingbrook Fountaindale Library
        http://www.fountaindale.org/
        Meeting Room A (1st floor)