[Ubuntu Chicago] Thanks, Guys!

Deacon Solomon dekesolomon at fastmail.fm
Tue Aug 19 03:01:08 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-08-18 at 20:10 -0500, eviljoel wrote:
> Hello Deacon,
>
> First, this isn't a big deal but I recommend keeping all related
> conversation in the same thread (same Subject).
>
> Concerning books, there probably isn't a COMPREHENSIVE book on desktop
> Ubuntu.  I always just Google problems when I come across them.  Almost
> always, someone else has had the same problems as me.
>
> I know this is the Ubuntu list but if you really want to understand
> Linux well, you should try out Arch Linux.  Do it on another computer as
> you need at least one computer to be working at all times.  I wouldn't
> necessarily recommend using Arch for day to day stuff but more as a
> learning tool.  Hands on learning is typically more productive than
> reading a book anyway.
>
> Sincerely,
> eviljoel
>

> On 08/17/2014 10:28 PM, Deacon Solomon wrote:
> > Randy -- I ran that command just as you sent it. System responded with
> > almost FIVE pages of text. The word 'grub' kept whizzing across the
> > screen but I couldn't read the fast-moving lines, so only half of my
> > hair stood on end. That's not to say the left half or the right half but
> > just half of all my hairs -- every other hair.
> >
> > Anyway, it worked. I got my system upgraded and I know how to find out
> > all of the kernel(s) I have on my machine and the kernel that's
> > presently running the box. It's nice to know I only have one kernel now,
> > so neither I nor the box is apt to get (yeah, I said it) confused now.
> >
> > I want to thank you all for helping me out of this spot and I hope I can
> > remember how to help myself out of this spot in the future. I wrote down
> > all the commands that worked, fwiw. It's not a long list because the
> > only commands that didn't work are the ones I thought up myself.
> >
> > Can anybody put me onto a REAL GOOD (intelligently written, easy to
> > understand, comprehensive) book on Linux commands and Linux command-line
> > usage? I'll send for one come next payday.
> >
> > Thanks again! You guys were great.
> >
> > Your friend,
> >
> > Deacon
> > http://dekesolomon.wordpress.com/

eviljoel -- You don't sound so evil to me. Thanks for being nice about
it, anyway.

So what is arch linux and why do I want to mess with it? Does it even
HAVE a gui? Will it find my home network without me having to look up
all those pesky DNS numbers?

If it doesn't have a gui and if it doesn't autodetect my network, I'm
whipped before I start.

I know, I know: if it takes me six months to get it up and running (but
not yet obedient enough to actually do work with), I'll be better for
the experience and I'll NEVER forget how to load arch linux in the
future because I'll never forget the six months I spent learning to load
it the first time.

Well, I'm a writer, see? I write stuff, that's what I do. And I don't
have six months or even six weeks to drop everything and learn how to
make arch linux (or Suse, or Fedora or any other distro) find its proper
place on my network.

So the lowdown is this: I'll try what you suggest but at this point I
don't promise any results and I may just chuck arch linux right out the
window like I did those other distros.

Here's hoping arch linux will help me. Thanks again for being nice and
thanks for your suggestion -- really!

Deke