[Ubuntu Chicago] 3rd party software auditing and updating tools?

Richard JOHNSON nixternal at ubuntu.com
Sun Mar 6 06:02:07 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 02:19:49PM -0600, W. Scott Lockwood III wrote:
> Hey guys and gals,
>
>   I'm looking for something similar to WSUS or Update Notifier, or
> really even apt, but for non-linux systems. I don't have the problem
> with linux systems of course, because we're able to leverage things like
> the Debian security repo's for that. No such thing exists however for
> non-linux systems that I can find, but I still need to track and update
> 3rd party software in our environment for those systems.
>
>   I'm curious what others are using to track these types of things? It's
> really the tracking that's the problem, too. We already have systems
> that do the inventory portion, and that can push out updated versions of
> software - it's the part that knows there's an update in the first place
> that we don't have.

One of my buddies just told me about Fog Imaging. Haven't heard of it
before. He uses it for his Windows network, unsure about the updates, but
it sounds like it might be possible.

http://www.fogproject.org/

--
 Name|  Richard JOHNSON
Title|  Developer
Email|  nixternal at ubuntu.com
GnuPG|  3578 0981 A21D D662 2A96  7623 F4C1 838C D8C4 4738