[Ubuntu Chicago] Ubuntu Fun Ride Maybe

Rich Johnson nixternal at ubuntu.com
Tue May 4 20:37:17 BST 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 12:16 PM, swoody <swoody at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> I think this would be a great idea - although I'm sure you knew I was
> going to say that ;)

Of course I did, as I believe it was our idea last night :)

> Most of the trails I'm familiar with are in Nothern IL/Southern WI so I
> don't think they would be great for everyone to get to.

Though I wouldn't mark them off the list. I am not familiar with them,
but am always up to ride somewhere new myself.

> The Great Western Trail sounds like it might be most accessible to all.
> With meeting downtown, everyone could take a train downtown and then ride
> over to where we would meet up. The only question I have is how we would
> plan our return trip. Are we riding there and back, have a car or two at
> the destination for our return trip, or take the train back to the city?

What we could do, is for those of us out in the burbs, we could all
meet at the park in Geneva, then hop on the train with our bikes and
head into the city. Do know though that this ride would be around 40
miles long to head back out to Geneva. Some people may not think they
can do it, but if my old man can, I know anyone can. It is actually a
very easy and flat ride, and if everyone keeps a nice rolling pace and
we stop for breaks, it makes it even easier. Along the great western
trail you can stop in maywood for a snack or ice cream right by the
cook county sheriffs department. Then you get to elmhurst and hit up
some ice cream and what not there. i think elmhurst might be the
halfway point. If people think heading out to geneva would be to far
we could come up with something shorter.

> The Geneva ride sounds nice, and probably a bit more scenic. Geneva has a
> Metra station, so it would be easy for anyone in the city to make it out
> there. My only concern is if people would want to travel that far out into
> the Western burbs. It may be a bit of a ride for train riders and suburb
> drivers alike. If this isn't an issue for anyone who's interested, I think
> this could be a very fun trip.

I think the fox river path out there would be ideal. everyone can meet
at the geneva train station, as it is only a block or two away from
the river path. by train geneva is 1 hour from the city, and in the
burbs it isn't to bad. on a saturday, as long as you stay off of 290
you are only looking at about a 30 minute drive. we could also pick a
spot on the fox river trail that would be the easiest for everyone to
get to. So you have NW burbs up near Carpentersville, and Elgin as
well. The fox river path goes from aurora up to mchenry county, so
there are plenty of places for people to meet up as a start point.

> Also +1 on the lakefront path. I find it's rather busy and much more of a
> people watching path. If there's interest though, I wouldn't complain if
> we select it for our cruise.

I wouldn't complain either. Maybe some of the city folk have some
pointers for the lake front path. head south probably wouldn't be as
busy, and i do like heading south and seeing the old projects as they
feel a bit historical to me since i grew up in the city in the 80s
when the projects were really famous.

I know down south around Joliet and what not there is the Old Plank
Trail which I have ridden. That is a very nice trail that goes through
some really beautiful areas. Anyone else have ideas? I know the trails
around Tinley as well, they are great. I am down with riding whenever
too, so if anyone wants to do a nice long mellow stroll on some paths,
hit up a bar or whatever, I can ride with you :)

Let us know if you have a great spot to ride and hang out. Oh, Busse
Woods would be another great spot, though it is the same scenery over
and over :)

--Rich Johnson (nixternal)