[Ubuntu Chicago] Calling at website designers

Steve Woodruff swoody at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 20 14:06:44 GMT 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 7:20 AM, Montel Edwards <montel at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> You might want to try StartSSL DNS because it's free and also they use
> DNStuff's nameservers.
>
> It's where I have the nameservers for ubuntu-chicago.org and mdeonte.com
>

> On 1/19/10, Richard JOHNSON <nixternal at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> Hola people!
>>
>> We are currently working on a complete overhaul of the Ubuntu Chicago
>> website. This week I had DNS transfer chi.ubuntu-us.org to my server (which
>> still doesn't work, gotta get around to fixing that) and also Montel
>> purchased ubuntu-chicago.org for the group.
>>
>> Tonight I quickly whipped up a mockup of an idea I had [1]. If you can
>> design web sites, now is your chance to contribute! Let's see some mockups
>> of how you would like ubuntu-chicago.org to look. One rule, we don't want
>> to look like ubuntu.com. We want to stand out, however using some of the
>> colors of Ubuntu are fine, as it ties us together (as you can see from my
>> mockup).
>>
>> Send ideas in PNG, JPG, SVG, whatever format (preferably not PSD garbage,
>> but I will understand). I used GIMP to whip up the artwork in the mockup I
>> created.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> [1] http://www.ubuntu-chicago.org/site_ideas/1/
>>
>> P.S.: I know the CSS is a mess as it was just quickly hacked together, and
>> the header image is quite large as I didn't compress it at all while I was
>> playing around.
>>
>> --
>>  Name|  Richard JOHNSON
>> Title|  Developer
>>   WWW|  http://www.ubuntu.com
>> Email|  nixternal at ubuntu.com
>> GnuPG|  3578 0981 A21D D662 2A96  7623 F4C1 838C D8C4 4738

Rich,

I love your idea for the site. I think it ties in Ubuntu's theme in a
way that doesn't make it some cookie-cutter or xerox of other Ubuntu
sites. I'm also a big fan of the understated skyline image on the main
page. I think it lends a nice sense that we *are* Ubuntu Chicago, and
it differentiates us from other Ubuntu groups. Great work on this one,
overall I really like it. Of course I would also be interested in
seeing other(s') ideas as well so we can compare/contrast a range of
offerings.

You had also mentioned on IRC that we may possibly include twitter on
the site. I think it would be great - in the name of F/OSS - if we
could use identi.ca on our website. Either just the latest updates
from our own personal accounts, or even using the software to create
our own Ubuntu Chicago dent page on our website. I have seen companies
with their own identi.ca style pages, and I think it looks and works
great.

--
Steve Woodruff
swoody at ubuntu.com