[Ubuntu Chicago] Global Jam - March 26-28

Kevin Harriss special.kevin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 19:29:16 GMT 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 1:15 PM, Richard JOHNSON <nixternal at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 12:20:49PM -0600, Steve Woodruff wrote:
>> I just wanted to put this out there for anyone who hasn't heard. The
>> first Global Jam of 2010 is going to be officially announced next
>> week. It's scheduled for March 26-28, which is the last weekend in
>> March. I'm hoping to pass this around now, so you can all mark it on
>> your calendars, and we can get a great turnout for the first Global
>> Jam of 2010! This way, we'll also have plenty of time to start tossing
>> around ideas on venues, and what you guys would like to see us focus
>> on for the Jam.
>
> You beat me to the punch. I was supposed to send this out yesterday, but I
> guess it was best for them to announce it first :)
>
> Anyways, we will need a decently sized venue, especially if we have at
> least the turnout we did last year. In this case, as it stands, 2 places
> come to mind for good places to hold it, and they are in order of
> greatness:
>
>  * IIT - specialKevin?

What days would you be looking to hold the jam? You might be able to
convince me to talk to my boss about hosting it. The only concern that
I have about hosting would be that I would already be there two
weekend in March for the Chicago LUG meeting and the Desktop Help
Summit. Depending on how I feel and the day that you want to use it
might take more convincing. However, if I agree to let you use it
early on I won't change my mind come March. The other option would be
to try and convince Cezar to open and stay during the whole time.

Another possible location that is downtown and close to public
transportation would be the ITA offices. I know they have hosted other
events in the past. I am not sure if they charge to use the space or
not. They are located close to the Sears/Willis tower. You might also
want to talk to DePaul or UIC and see if any of their student
organizations want to work with you and host it on their campus. If I
can think of any other places I will let you know.

Kevin