[Ubuntu Chicago] Best Email Client?

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 23:58:57 GMT 2010

Hi Montel,

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 8:03 PM, Montel Edwards <montel at member.fsf.org>wrote:

> Good evening everyone,
>  I've been looking for a good new email client for a while to use as
> default, and I thought that there would be no better place than a
> mailing list!
>
> Here are a couple of things that i'm looking for:
>
> 1) Must NOT take up a lot of system resources ( I sold my Sun
> Workstation, so all I have now is my netbook)
> 2) Must load quicky
> 3) Easy GPG Support
> 4) IMAP Support

Nixternal (and maybe a few others in the loco) use mutt.  I have not used it
myself, but it is terminal-based, and seems very powerful.  Of course, it
would seem harder to configure.

After that, I would probably suggest thunderbird 3.0.  Thunderbird 3.0 is
available via the mozilla-daily ppa for Ubuntu 9.10.  I'm not sure if
thunderbird 3.0 is or will be made available via the karmic-backports
repository.

Jim