[Ubuntu Chicago] Ubuntu 9.04 release party planning

Kevin Harriss special.kevin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 17:07:17 GMT 2009

Hi All,

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 2:25 AM, Richard JOHNSON <nixternal at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 04:03:13PM -0600, Jim Campbell wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I wanted to put the wheels in motion for the Ubuntu 9.04 (aka Jaunty
>> Jackalope) release party.  We have a number of people on this team who are
>> active contributors to the project, and all of our hard work deserves some
>> time to get together and celebrate.  We also had a good group of people come
>> together for the Global Bug Jam, so it would be good to see all of them, and
>> to maybe even introduce a couple of new faces to the Ubuntu-Chicago LoCo
>> team.
>
> WOOHOO! Thanks Jim for spearheading yet another project here :)
>
>> Possible Locations:
>>
>>    - Goose Island (near North and Clybourn in Chicago): Our last in-person
>>    release party was held at Goose Island, and we had a good time with
>>    reasonably good turnout.  The food was good, the beer (for those of legal
>>    drinking age) was good, the price was fairly reasonable, but the wifi was
>>    almost non-existent.
>
> You know I love the Goose, but Internet might be a good thing to have for a
> release party.

Goose Island was a good spot except for the wifi.  We could talk to
them and see if the wifi is working better now.

>>    - Buffalo Wild Wings (NW burbs): I think this is where the first-ever
>>    Ubuntu-Chicago release party was held.  Ah, memories.  I wasn't yet involved
>>    with the LoCo team.  :(
>
> This place was nuts the night we held the first ever Ubuntu Chicago
> meeting. Man that was a cool night, we even had posters made up which
> totally rocked, and one got shipped to Mark where he even took a picture of
> it. If you look through the archives of this mailing list, Claire Newman
> sent a picture (August 2006).

If it was out in the suburbs would there be a group of people heading
out from the city.  It would probably need to be close to the metra
for us city folks.

>>    - Pumping Station One (don't think they've finalized a location yet):
>>     Pumping Station One is a community-organized hackerspace for all kinds of
>>    hacking-related activities and groups.  This might be a cool option if they
>>    settle on a location & if we can get permission to meet at the space.  More
>>    details at their website, http://www.pumpingstationone.org .  A few
>>    ChicagoLug people are actively involved in getting this up and running, and
>>    it would be a good location to introduce Ubuntu to people who might not be
>>    as directly involved with FOSS.
>
> Ya, this place would rock but I doubt it will be open.

I really don't think they will have a space by then but I can talk to
some people and see.

>>    - [Your idea here]:  We could have it at someone's house or some other
>>    location.
>
> I am in love with the ID spot to be honest. Kevin has a sweet hookup there.
> It would be up to him, but he also had ideas, or should I say idea, and of
> course Risque Cafe was involved :p

Depending on the date and time, we could probably do ID.  We could
just order some delivery via GrubHub.  Yes that was a shameless plug
for a kick ass company.  We would have internet and could have food
and drinks available.

In regards to Risque Cafe, I could talk to the owner and see if we
could do some all-ages event there.  They have great beer and great
food.  Just as Rich about the Country Fried Bacon.

> Anyone else have a good spot?

There is a wings place, Buffalo Wings and Rings, on 35th and Halstead.
 They have free wifi, food and drinks.  It is a fairly big place and
depending on the day usually not very busy so it might be a good
location.  The only problem is it is on the scary southside ;).

Another possible location could be Bottom Lounge.  I am not sure if
they have wifi or not but really good food and drinks.  They also have
a music venue in the back room so if there was a show people could
check that out after the release party.

Rock Bottom might have their rooftop deck open by then and we could do
it there.  That deck has a really nice view of the city.  They are
usually well equipped to handle large groups.

We could try doing something very Chicago.  Like a deep dish pizza
place or Portillos.

If I come up with any more ideas I will let the list know.

Kevin Harriss