[Ubuntu Chicago] Global Bug Jam Update

Richard Johnson nixternal at kubuntu.org
Sun Jan 4 07:38:17 GMT 2009

Howdy everyone!

Today a couple of us, and I mean a couple of us, got together at the
Chicago GNU/Linux Users Group meeting and discussed the upcoming Global
Bug Jam. For the low amount of people, the discussions were actually
awesome! The reason for the low amount of people who showed up is partly
my fault. I totally forgot to announce a pre-meeting meetup here on the
list. Anyways, with that out of the way, just a couple of things we
discussed I want to hit on:

1) Venue - hoping to have it at the Institute of Design on Kinzie and
LaSalle in Chicago. This is where the Chicago GLUG meetings are and the
space rocks! We are planning on running this thing non-stop from Friday
evening until sometime late Sunday afternoon or early evening. Friday
being the 20th of February. We will look at getting food, snacks and
beverages not including alcohol. If you want alcohol that is fine, you
can go across the street and pick up a sixer. The reason why is because
we don't want a Chicago drunk fest :) We will try and have caffeine
non-stop, ie. fully leaded coffee perculating nicely the entire weekend.

2) Tools - everyone should have an account on Launchpad
(https://launchpad.net). If you are planning on doing packaging fixes
and what not during the event, then make sure you have a GPG key on
Launchpad as well. Make sure you have an email address, which I am sure
you do because otherwise you wouldn't be getting this mail in your inbox
:)  I will add a couple of links at the bottom of this mail for you to
check out as well.

Some voiced concerns of how they can really help if they have never done
this before. No matter your technical ability within Ubuntu, Linux or
whatever, you can easily contribute. We will have enough people on hand
the entire weekend to help you get started and to help you keep going.
We will be hunting for bugs, trying to reproduce bugs, commenting on new
bugs, trying to get extra information from the bug reporter, trying to
fix bugs, and attempting to help out our upstream counterparts in the
process (ie. help GNOME, KDE, and others). I just heard thunder!!!
Anyways, where was I? Oh ya, no matter your skill level you can help.
All contributions are welcomed and definitely needed. Prior to the event
there will be a meeting at the venue a couple of weeks prior. I will
keep everyone updated on this.

The meeting will help to teach people what they will need to know about
bug triage and such. Myself and others will present the tools we will be
using for the Global Bug Jam and take you through some processes to help
you get familiarized with the way bug traige in Ubuntu works. It is a
very easy process, but I would like to get as much help out of the way
prior to the event so we can contribute!

Another thing too. We are going to try and get some schwag for the
event, but that I cannot promise as I am sure a ton of others are going
to try the same, but I will see what I can do. We are going to have
projectors up showing stuff off, watching people hack, watching a few
movies, and possibly video conferencing with other teams around the
world, and maybe even get the big man himself to get on and say hello.
The big man being Mark Shuttleworth. Can't promise anything, but I will
try. I know a lot of people would like to see that, and it still gives
me the warm and fuzzies when I talk to Mark. Wow, that thunder was
close!

Now, I would really like to know just how many of you want to attend
this event, will attend this event, or might attend this event. I also
want to know anything you will need for this event, what you would like
to see and so on. Your feedback at this time is very important not only
to myself but the team in general and the army of people working to get
this jam rolling here in Chicago.

Thanks for your time, any questions please do not hesitate to ask. Any
suggestions please speak freely. And now for some links to get those of
you up and running that may need it:

Launchpad - https://launchpad.net
GPG - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GnuPrivacyGuardHowto
Bugs - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs
Bug Squad - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad
5-A-Day - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/5-A-Day

If there is any further info you would like to see, please let me know
or if you have something further, please let the list know. Thanks
again!

PS. Documentation, Artwork, Coding, Website, Bug Confirmation - these
are just some of the things we will be working on, so there will be
something for everyone just to let you know!

--
Richard A. Johnson
nixternal at kubuntu.org
GPG: 2E2C0124