[Ubuntu Chicago] jaunty upgrade broke my laptop :(

Eddie Martinez eddiemartinez at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 18:26:43 BST 2009

This is strange. I ran

apt-get update
apt-get --reinstall install linux-image linux-image-generic
linux-image-2.6.28-11-generic

Rebooted. Now I'm not getting any issues complaining about UUID.  I do
end up with this though:

*Starting Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Daemon avahi-daemon                         [ OK ]
saned disabled; edit /etc/default/saned
*Starting System Tools Backends system-tools-backends
     [  OK ]
*Starting anac(h)ronistic cron anacron
                 [  OK ]
*Starting deferred execution scheduler crond
            [  OK ]
*Enabling additional executable binary formats binfmt-support

WARNING: All config files need .conf: /etc/modprobe.d/fuse, it will be i
n a future release
                               [OK ]

*Checking battery state ...
/dev/sda:
setting Advanced Power Management level to  0x80  (128)

                                       [   OK ] +
__

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 12:23 PM, George Lesica <glesica at gmail.com> wrote:
> But lawyers are a cautious bunch. Part of the problem is that most
> users wouldn't uninstall the MS programs even if it was possible. Just
> like many users choose IE because it's just right there. Therefore, MS
> would be gaining market share in other markets (anti-virus, word
> processing, etc.) through use of the marketing power it gets from its
> OS. That could still be construed to be an anti-trust violation
> because it could be seen as an attempt at a vertical monopoly.
>
> Also, other apps ARE bundled with windows by PC manufacturers. When
> you buy a copy of windows at retail you are getting just that:
> windows.
>
> What would be interesting is if MS would allow 3rd parties to create
> windows "distros" where other (legally licensed of course) software is
> bundled with windows to create a custom windows install consumers
> could buy at retail.
>
> Of course that would just add to the confusion my mother feels when
> she sees 14 versions of Vista on the shelves. And since MS tries to be
> all things to all people they have to try to keep my mother happy by
> reducing the choices available so she doesn't get confused.
>
> ~ George T. Lesica
> glesica at gmail.com
>

> On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Michael McCune <mjmccune at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Microsoft would only bundle their programs with Windows and would not
>> allow the PC manufacturer or end user to remove the bundled
>> applications. If MS would allow other apps to be bundled with Windows
>> and allowed bundled Windows apps to be removed, it would not have been a
>> problem.
>>
>> George Lesica wrote:
>>> On the other hand, part of the reason MS doesn't bundle more software
>>> is that the government used that type of software bundling against
>>> them in the anti-trust case. Even bundling IE is highly controversial
>>> and the EU is considering making them totally strip it out.
>>>
>>> ~ George T. Lesica
>>> glesica at gmail.com

>> --

Encryption Key (GPG PID): 19983D83
This has been an Eddie Martinez production.
<Please exit in an orderly fashion>