[Ubuntu Chicago] Acer Crystal Eye Camera

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at ubuntu.com
Fri Nov 14 01:54:38 GMT 2008

Hi Lee,

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Lee Anderson <spydermon at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all, my name is Lee Anderson. I installed Ubuntu 8.10 onto my Acer
> Aspire 7720 laptop and a Dell Latitude 600.

I'm having trouble with my internal camera on my Acer. I don't know how to
> make the OS recognize the camera. My Dell is no recognizing any wireless
> networks. How do I solve these problems? Can anyone help?

It looks like the Acer uses an Orbicam  (just found that by googling for
your laptop's make and model).  This website [1] looks like it provides some
good instructions on how to get the proper driver installed.  (Be sure to
grab the most recent version of the driver).

To install it, you'll first need to install the "build-essentials" package,
and your kernel headers, I think.  Someone else may be able to provide
better instructions.

If you have further questions, though, feel free to try back with the list,
or join us on IRC.

Jim

[1] http://www.freewebs.com/gkiagia/orbicam.html