[Ubuntu Chicago] Developer Jams

Richard A. Johnson nixternal at kubuntu.org
Mon May 5 17:56:31 BST 2008

I have been thinking about this and come up with the following idea on how we
can run Ubuntu Chicago Developer Jams. We can do a few class like sessions to
teach the stuff, and from there we can then turn it into a more social/hacking
event where we could meet up and hang out. For the first few sessions,
something like the following would be kind of cool to hold:

Ubuntu Development 101 - Familiarization of Ubuntu development tools (3)

Ubuntu Development 102 - Bug Triage (3)
This session will provide the attendees with the knowledge necessary to help
triage Ubuntu bugs. Attendees will learn the basics as well as some of the
advanced topics with triaging bugs on Launchpad.

Ubuntu Development 103 - Packaging I (4-6)
This session will provide the attendees with the knowledge necessary to build
their very own package. Topics covered will include development applications,
scripts, setting up development environments, creating the package, and more.

Ubuntu Development 104 - Packaging II (4-6)
This session will provide the attendees with the knowledge necessary to merge,
sync, and request merges/syncs for Debian packages into Ubuntu's latest
development cycle. Topics covered will include those mentioned as well as
proper utilizing of certain development scripts as well as how to properly fill
out a request, create a debdiff, and more.

Ubuntu Development 105 - Packaging III (4-6)
This session will provide the attendees with the knowledge necessary to work
with Debian on patches, request backports properly, how to do Stable Release
Update requests, and anything else not covered by Packaging I or II.

How does something like this sound? The numbers that are in the ( ) refer to the
amount of time each session could possibly take up. If the amount of time is to
long, then breaking up the sessions into micro-sessions shouldn't be to
difficult.

The only thing is figuring out the best location to hold such events. We need to
figure out where the majority of the people interested are located. If a
majority are located in the suburbs, then we can easily utilize COD, as there
is a train that comes out to Glen Ellyn from the city. If there are more in the
city, then us suburbanites will have to train it down there. A location w/in a
mile from Union/Olgave would be prime as it wouldn't be to difficult to walk to
the location after getting off of the train. For COD, people coming by train
would need to arrive in Glen Ellyn at the same time, and then we could provide
rides to the school.

Let me know what everyone thinks about all of this, and if you are really
interested. If I only see a few responses, then I will can this idea and look
elsewhere for it, as I am trying to help the LoCo out at this time. Thanks!

--
Richard A. Johnson
nixternal at kubuntu.org
GPG Key: 0x2E2C0124