[Ubuntu Chicago] quiet around here

Patrick Green patlgreen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 07:49:40 GMT 2008

"sounds like something that wouldn't
require mad skillz i don't possess :)"

That is exactly the point here.  For too long LUGS and projects have been
only those with admin skills.  Those people are the foundation of the bazaar
and make it possibile for us to have useful tools and a community.  Then
there are other lugs that are non technical in nature and go nowhere.

The key is to strike a balance and showcase a community that has people of
all levels and interests making a contribution.

I will be honest..on sheer technical merits, I would likely be a Fedora
user, on sheer ease of use merits, PCLOS.  On pure freedom, gnewsense.

Where does Ubuntu get me, then?

The philosophy that includes not only open arms to all, but a commitment to
use these tools to help others.  This is not just about unseating MS, this
is not just about being the bad ass distro, this is about humanity to others
as well.  That is more important than a business proposition.  A business
proposition is what I see with Linspire, Xandros, RedHat, and others.  (I do
respect RHL btw).  I balance between biz and humanity towards others is what
is offered with Ubuntu.  The humanity does not come in an iso...that comes
from us.