[Ubuntu Chicago] quiet around here

Patrick Green patlgreen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 05:44:06 GMT 2008

All right, all right.

Here is the deal. In March I am picking up 10 used PC's in upper Michigan.
1.7 ghz pentiums with 128 MB Ram including keyboards and mice, and CRT
monitors.  I am getting these for $25 a pop.  I have extra ram sticks to
cover 3 of the systems and I have until March to get the other seven sticks.

Here is the master plan.  I am donating them to CLC on 3 conditions they
have agreed to (see?  I never give up).
1.  They get put in the dorms for the students to use freeing them from the
time restrictions on campus.
2.  They run Ubuntu.
3.  We of the Chicago Loco get to use them for our purposes.

My idea?  We start small.  The LOCO training center.

Using the Ubuntu Desktop Training guides and teach the course.  We charge a
fee and we market it.  We are not talking LPI, we are talking desktop
training with modules and materials already provided for us.  I have done
training before and I teach.  We can do this.

I have not come up with a final price.  The program suggests a 2 day course
assuming 2 full days.  I am thinking it may make more sense to make it a 4
half day or evening course.  Pretend we do it at $250 per person.  I can get
the manuals printed for $44 a pop.  I can better sell the school on this if
we offer them a 10% cut-so in this case, that is $25.  Offering coffee and
snacks to the class would be about $10 per student (nothing fancy-coffee and
donuts or snacks and soda).  From there, a small stipend should be put in
reserve for the LOCO volunteers who come in to instruct and assist.  Not a
lot of money.  Just something to cover our gas and tolls or train ticket and
a little extra in case you had to grab a sandwich.  Just for even number
sake..let's say we take another $11 out of each entry fee for this.

That leaves $160 per person that goes directly to the Ubuntu LOCO project.
What do we do with this money?  Buy banners, get some materials printed,
booth fees, so forth.  Heck, we can even be good citizens and "tithe" ten
percent of what we net back to Ubuntu.  Max  donation of $160 a session back
to Ubuntu.

There are other questions and other expenses and whatnot to discuss.  I
think to start we do one class a month.  Now for the class size.

12 per class.  2 students to a workstation.  10 are paid and 2 are gifted
(they will have to buy the booklet).  This is an opportunity for contests.
This is a max potential of $1600 per class for our LOCO and $250 a month for
the school.  We start off with once a month and if we build up demand and a
waiting list, then we go to twice a month.

Now, we pimp this out via press releases up the wazoo.  What is the point?
This is an inexpensive alternative for small business people and IT pros to
get a basic glimpse of the Ubuntu and Linux thing and see if there is
viability for them to take it to the next level.  We have opportunities as
well.  Companies or churches may want skilled people to help consult them.
We create a network of professionals to recommend them to.  Robert for
hardware, me for migration planning, etc etc.  Now, to be a part of the
receiving end of such an opportunity, you have to be willing to give.  The
Ubuntu LOCO will promote advocacy by offering free consulting and
configuration and whatnot to local chicago area charities and not for
profits.  If a business wants to benefit from the recommendation of the
LOCO, they have to be willing to embrace the spirit of the meaning of Ubuntu
and the spirit of Free Software's philosophy of sharing.

Been chewing on this for a spell.

I think this is doable.