[Ubuntu Chicago] 2Wire connection loss

Robert Stolorz robert at feratechinc.com
Tue Feb 12 20:25:34 GMT 2008

Well I have seen this problem between new and older devices using WPA
security. The problem is when replacing the device for a newer one you
will most likely want to use WPA to encrypt your wireless network. The
problem, not all older devices are compatible. Some are only able to use
the older WEP encryption. Do you know which you are using now.

Most of the time you can simply tell by the wireless password you type
in. If it's a string of 12 or 16 numbers, I forget exactly how many it's
probably WEP. If it's both letters and numbers it's most likely WPA. It
it is WPA then it's pretty easy to replace the device. All you would
have to do is change the new device's wireless network name and security
to match the old one and you wouldn't even have to configure the other
computers.

As for a new wireless router you can easily get one for around $45 which
is pretty decent. I would recommend Trendnet or Dlink.