[Ubuntu Chicago] Hello, new to team

James Murray jmurrayil at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 6 15:45:38 BST 2008

Hello All,

I just joined the Chicago Ubuntu team and I am interested in participating, if possible.

I now have Ubuntu 7.10 installed on four of our five notebooks at home (HP, Sharp, Acer, and an eeePC; left my son's Gateway with Vista for now).  Installation was easy for most PCs; some work to get the eeePC proper (LOVE the eeePC).  Found out about Ubuntu after getting the eeePC (about a month ago) and I am fully behind Ubuntu, Open Source, and FSF.  Love Ubuntu; tried Xandros on the eeePC and one notebook first, but switched to Ubuntu.

I am now promoting Ubuntu to whomever I can.  I have been passing out Ubuntu 7.10 Live CDs and just started passing out USB bootable memory sticks with Ubuntu 7.10 (I have to sell some sticks on eBay to pay for the free give-aways).

I am interested in how I/we are or can promote Ubuntu/Linux to the everyday PC user.  I am considering many avenues and will be :
1.  Passing out LiveCDs and boot sticks (in process).
2.  Moving children from windows to Linux (-- get them when they're young, McyD's phil.)
3.  Seminars/training within the community (using Library meeting rooms, etc.)
4.  Install Ubuntu on old, free (or very low cost) PCs for donation.
5.  Others ??? (suggestions?)

Personally, my background is an EE in R&D and Advanced Development for consumer products; 30+ years in the same industry.  I currently hold about 22 US patents. Started programming in the early/mid 70s, with first computer being the TI-99A.  Have done some webpage creation in the past, much assembly programming, and project/product management/development.  Moved to Chicago early 2007.

Again, hello to all.

Best Regards,

Jim Murray

=======
The manual read "Install Windows or better".  So I did; I installed Ubuntu.