[Ubuntu Chicago] Gutsy / KDE4

Richard A. Johnson nixternal at kubuntu.org
Tue Oct 23 14:02:06 BST 2007

On Tuesday 23 October 2007, Wally Valters wrote:
| Sorry I missed the install party, but Im busy as all hell with work etc.  I
| have question though (2 actually)
|
| 1) I did a dist-upgrade and it totally borked my laptop, HP, ATI 200M
| radeon, and Broadcom wireless.  I thin it was the restricted driver for ATI
| but not positive.  I wiped the machine, did a clean install, restored the
| /home partition then backed up the whole system.  I turned on the
| restricted broadcomm driver and have wireess (totaly painless i might add,
| really cool).  But I hesitate ot do the same with the ATI driver.
|
| So, if I turn on the ATI restricted driver, and it hoses up the machine, is
| there a way to undo it from the console.  I can remove it from xorg.conf I
| know, but how do i keep the thing from loading in the first place?  I used
| Envy to load the ATI driver in Feisty, and it worked like a charm, so I can
| always fall back on that.

Turn it on, it is fine. It probably works better in Gutsy than it did in
Feisty to be honest.

| 2) Nixternal, I saw your blog post on KDE4 and it looks real nice, but the
| kubuntu.org description of enabling it is a little sketchy.  How about a
| little explanation on how to get KDE4 running for us ?  KDE4 is the reason
| I want a better driver running for my vid card, its a little clunky right
| now.

Install 'kdebase-workspace', 'kde4base-dev', and all of the kde4* modules.
They will be listed something like kde4graphics and what not.

Copy /usr/lib/kde4/share/apps/kdm/sessions/kde.desktop
to /usr/share/xsessions/kde4.desktop. Edit the kde4.desktop file and make
sure the name says KDE 4 and not KDE.

Edit /usr/lib/kde4/bin/startkde and add the following at the top of the file:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/kde4/lib
export KDEDIRS=/usr/lib/kde4
export PATH=/usr/lib/kde4/bin/:$PATH
export KDEHOME=~/.kde4

Restart X, and you should be able to select KDE 4.

--
Richard A. Johnson
nixternal at kubuntu.org
GPG Key: 0x2E2C0124