[Ubuntu Chicago] Team Project Ideas

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at gmail.com
Mon May 14 06:04:20 BST 2007

On 5/12/07, Rich Johnson <nixternal at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> [snip]

So I figured I would start this thread here to
> try and gather some ideas as to what type of project people would like to
> see. Keep in mind our goal for this project will be to get it into Ubuntu,
> then to Debian, then to the rest of the world :) My only requests are
> these:
>
> 1) GPL (v3 is due out soon, lets adopt it?)
> 2) Language
>      - Python
>      - C/C++
> 3) Developer Documentation & User Documentation
> 4) Revision control (SVN - i.e., Google Code or SourceForge, or better yet
> Bazaar and host it on Launchpad)

Those are all fine with me.  :)

OK, so what type of application or project is everyone interested in?

I am curious about Freddy's comment on the bug helper thing.  In checking it
out a bit on Launchpad, it seems like it's a bunch of python scripts used to
get info about bugs.  Just curious what Freddy was thinking about here.  I
don't know much about it, and am curious to see if others think it would
work well as a desktop app (if that's what we're thinking).

As for the desktop wiki, I know that MoinMoin has both a desktop wiki and a
MoinMoinAsPIM project already.  Those use python.  They already exist, but
we could still contribute to them as projects.

Another idea is to put together a gui network manager for Xfce, similar to
the network-manager-gnome or network-manager-kde, but not dependent on gnome
or KDE libs.   I don't know how difficult that would so I'm not stuck on
that idea.

Jim