[Ubuntu Chicago] book club?

Patrick Green patlgreen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 14:08:41 GMT 2007

Now, when you say book club, are we talking general reads or are we talking
about ramping up on our geek library?

I am always buying Linux books.  One thing I have been doing since 2001 has
been buying Linux newbie books.  Every time I hear tell of a book for
newbies I pick it up and read it critically.  I then compare it to what
people are saying on mail lists and forums.

Marcel Gagne' and Peter Van der Linden are two of the best at this, Robin
Miller (roblimo) and Jon Hall (maddog) are not so good at this.  The latter
gents do great work for FOSS, but their fingers are too far away from the
newbie pulse.  Then you have various degrees of quality in between.

To this day, the best description of a Linux file system can be found in
Eric Grebler's Lindows Fast and Easy which was written in 2003.

Anyway, depending on the topic of the book club, I would be in.

Patrick Green