[Ubuntu Chicago] Speakers at the Meeting

Eric O'Neal fyedernoggersnodden at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 09:04:21 BST 2007

On 6/30/07, James Ruffer <admin at unixbox.ws> wrote:

> What are the chances of getting ubuntu on a cell phone?

Slim?

There's an Embedded Ubuntu project here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EmbeddedUbuntu
But as far as I know it's in in infancy and a brand new effort (Or, at
least, I just recently heard of it)

Other then that, the only major linux on embedded devices I know of is at
handhelds.org.

> I was thinking of getting the iphone but the specs are not all that great.
> Especially being on the att network.

And it's an entirely closed platform, in the name of "stability."  A
UNIX-based OS that won't even run a 3rd party "hello world" app, much less
an SSH daemon/client.  That ticks me off (I blogged plenty about it tonight:
http://sigmax.no-ip.org/blog.php).

It's enough to make me ashamed of owning a MacBook.  If only the GPLv3 had
come along sooner... they might have been forced to open it up ;-).

SigmaX

--
My home page:  http://www.SigmaX.org

"ttocs laeno cire oshkosh b'gosh fyedernoggersnodden nicht stein bon
probiscus"

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in
school"
              -- Albert Einstein