[Ubuntu Chicago] Ubuntu Chicago Packaging Jam - A Bust

Wally Valters deepsky99 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 12:54:10 GMT 2007

No worries on yesterday, its just with the holidays and years end I am
extremely busy, and the day was slipping away.

I have only been to two events / meetings, but there is a common thread.
(I'm not bashing here)
The meetings lack structure and the team lacks cohesiveness.  I can see your
frustrations Rich, it is as if no one really cares.  I think it is more of a
lack of team spirit.  Small steps taken by a large group can have a very
positive effect.  I am really hoping the project in Mt. Prospect will help
formulate some team spirit, as well as get that place up and running
smoothly.  I hear people wanting to "hack", yet no one shows up when you
want to show them how.  Let us hope the same thing does not happen with the
college project.

I think the most important thing for this team is starting to regularly
schedule meetings.  These could coincide with a public "showing" of Ubuntu.
Pick a spot that will let us, and we have a meeting there, offering up cd's
and intro's to linux to anyone who wants one.   It cannot hurt to try that
(at least when its a bit warmer it wont hurt).  Work keeps me extremely
busy, but I can almost always spare a few hours on a weekend.

In my opinion advocating Ubuntu to current linux users is a waste of time,
showing it to those who don't realize there is another option from the
established OS's is not.

I am going to take you up on the offer for packaging assistance.  We can set
something up after the holidays.  I will transcribe all my learnings as
well, maybe we can turn this into a packaging training document.  The stuff
on the Wiki is ok, but lacks depth, maybe we can change that.