[Ubuntu Chicago] ubuntu wireless

jason jenkins jenkins27 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 16:20:49 BST 2007

OK, i will do this after work.  I have some general questions though.
1) tar is like zip correct?
2) My home directory is the same directory I would be in when i first open a
terminal window?
3) gzip is the gnome version of say winzip?
4) when I am in the home directory "tar xzf rt2500-cvs*" is the command I
run to extract?
5) what are switches?
6) I will end up making a new directory (folder) called rt2500-cvs-yymmdd?
7) why?
8) i do not think I understand tab completion in the terminal; cd rt2 then
tab (not enter?) will show me or put me into the rt2 directory? (similar to
cd c:\\windows\program files)?
9) why did i only need to type rt2 and not the entire thing?

As far as what I think we should be doing next:
It looks like yesterday we downloaded the ralink 2500 chipset drivers for
ubuntu in the form of a tar file from serialmonkey.  the instructions you
just gave me look to be extracting the tar files contents to a directory
under my home directory.  Next would be to install or apply the driver so
the OS knows its there and can use it.  My natural instinct would be to
double click the install exe or run it through the command prompt.  I have a
bad feeling though that there is are no exe files in linux.  So I must have
to open a terminal and use some linux command similar to run or execute and
point it to a certain file I just extracted in the rt2500 directory I just
made.
close?

As much as I want to get away from using windows, it is so damn easy to use.