[Ubuntu Chicago] ubuntu wireless

Wally Valters deepsky99 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 16:47:14 BST 2007

Still wont work most likely.  We need to know what driver your machine is
using.  Once we know that, we can make sure it detected the card properly
and see what we need to do to get your stuff running.  We are almost there,
plus you are learning a lot:)  The stuff we are doing here will help you
troubleshoot all kinds of hardware stuff, like scanners not working etc.

As a side note make sure you are broadcasting your ESSID on your router.
Not doing it really isn't that much of a security help, anyone sniffing in
the area can find it out in a few packets anyway.

Ok, when you get home do the  following to make sure you have everything set

In a terminal:
sudo apt-get remove wpasupplicant
sudo apt-get autoremove

then do
lshw | less

This will give you driver info etc.
find your card in there, and post the info here...
you should be able to search on wlan0 (once in less, type /wlan0 and hit
[Enter])

my server (wired ethernet) looks like this:

          *-network:1
                product: 82540EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller
                vendor: Intel Corporation
                physical id: c
                bus info: pci at 01:0c.0
                logical name: eth0
                version: 02
                serial: 00:06:5b:cf:25:b0
                size: 100MB/s
                capacity: 1GB/s
                width: 32 bits
                clock: 66MHz
                capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt
10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotia
tion
                configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e1000
driverversion=7.3.15-k2-NAPI duplex=full fi
rmware=N/A ip=10.21.15.172 latency=64 link=yes mingnt=255 multicast=yes
port=twisted pair speed=100MB/s
                resources: iomemory:ff8c0000-ff8dffff ioport:ec40-ec7f
irq:18