[Ubuntu Chicago] NTFS-3G Help

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 05:51:29 BST 2007

On 4/23/07, Rob Morris <rmorris78 at gmail.com> wrote:

> . . .  this computer was originally dapper and then upgraded to edgy
>
> here is my sources.list
>
> ## Add comments (##) in front of any line to remove it from being
> checked.
> ## Use the following sources.list at your own risk.
>
> deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper main restricted universe
> multiverse
> deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper main restricted universe
> multiverse

[snip]

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu dapper-security main restricted
> universe multiverse
> #AUTOMATIX REPOS END
>
> ## E17 repository "edevelop.org "
> deb http://edevelop.org/pkg-e/ubuntu edgy e17
> deb-src http://edevelop.org/pkg-e/ubuntu edgy e17
>
> ## NTFS-3G Repo
> deb http://flomertens.free.fr/ubuntu/ edgy main main-all
> deb http://ntfs-3g.sitesweetsite.info/ubuntu/ edgy main main-all
> deb http://flomertens.keo.in/ubuntu/ edgy main main-all
>

> thanks

Ah, that's the issue.

It looks like you are using the dapper (6.06) sources list , but you've
included the sources for edgy (6.10) for the two repositories ( E17
repository and NTFS-3G Repo) that you've added at the bottom of the list.

That will cause problems because the edgy repositories will depend on
software that is newer than the software included in dapper.

You say that you're now running Edgy, but I'm not sure how that's possible
with a predominantly Dapper sources list.

You can either update all of the listing of "dapper" to "edgy" and then do a
dist-upgrade (make sure you back up your data first!), or else you can see
if there are dapper repositories for E-17 and NTFS-3G.

The former is more risky than the latter, but the latter would provide more
up-to-date software.

I hope this helps!

Jim

jwcampbell at gmail.com