[Ubuntu Chicago] Question about Ubuntu.

Kendall Brown kendallbrown at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 11 20:12:20 BST 2007

Hey Guys:

Just wanted to share some thoughts with you on something I tried
recently and was hoping to use towards installing Ubuntu on my
computer.  I tried a Live CD of Gentoo Linux recently and it worked
perfectly.  I haven't been able to master the install process yet but
just knowing that it is possible to have Linux on my system means a lot
to me.  Any way...I wanted to know why Gentoo was able to load onto my
box while everyone else kept hanging.  I did a little research and found
something about the noapci command keeping computers from hanging on
installations.  Could this be what's stopping me?  Is there a way to
enter this command in a Ubuntu installation so I can test it out?  I'd
also like know if anyone can tell me why my computer keeps locking up
when I trade out hard drives with different OS on them?  After I fail
with Linux I usually just switch out the hard drive with another one
that contains a copy of Windows XP on it.  Everything is powered off
before I attempt this but for some reason my computer acts like it
remembers I had Ubuntu on it previously and begins to lock up while
booting up Windows XP.  Any suggestions?

Kendall Brown