Ubuntu-Chicago WiFi install problem

Rich Johnson nixternal at ubuntu.com
Sat Sep 9 23:27:24 BST 2006

On Saturday 09 September 2006 17:15, frank divita wrote:
> Am attempting to set up WiFi on a desktop containing AMD Geode NX1750.  Am
> using a Linksys 802.11g PCI adapter,  WMP54G.

Model number on the card if possible.

> I have installed Ubuntu 6.06.1 on this machine.

WOOHOO!!!! :)

> My access point  is 64bit hex encrypted.

Reason for the 64bit WEP? How about WPA or what not. It doesn't matter
truthfully, as they can all be cracked with ease. So what I do now is only
allow certain MAC addresses to connect. Anywho, lets carry on ;)

> Question 1.
> Am I approaching this correctly? From the desktop I go to System/
> Administration / Networking. I sign in and access the Interface Properties
> box and access the Network Settings which acknowledges the Wireless G card,
> an Ethernet card and a modem.

This is the way I do it, so you are doing it correctly thus far.

> I see the wireless network connection as not configured.  I deactivate the
> Ethernet and access the Wireless Properties.

You shouldn't have to deactivate it first, but it really doesn't matter, it is
just an extra step.

> In the Wireless Properties, I enable connection.  ESSID sees my network.  I
> choose hex and enter my WEP password. I click OK and am back to the Network
> Settings.  I then highlight the Wireless Connection and hit Activate
> button. After some time the Wireless Connection shows active and I am back
> at the Network Settings window. I click OK on this

How are you entering the password?  like this 0a38a9b9839a or whatever, or
just using the actual password you created?

> In Connection Setting
> I configure to DCHP.  I leave IP Address, Subnet Mask and Gateway blank.
>
> Question 2:
> Should I be able to access the net without rebooting. As it now stands I am
> doing something wrong and when I reboot the install hangs on 'Network
> Configuration'.  I have reinstalled the OS three times.

You shouldn't have to reboot. When you click apply in the network settings, it
usually restarts the networking. If it doesn't, simply do

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

at a command line in terminal.

> Question 3:
> Is there a site that can help me in setting this up?

Have you checked http://www.ubuntuforums.org or searched your cards model
number on https://wiki.ubuntu.com ?  both of these usually have the wifi
fixes somewhere. I know the Ubuntu forums usually have the answer.

> Question 4:
> When the reboot hangs on Network Configuration can I somehow bypass this
> and continue with the hard drive install so I don't have to reinstall the
> OS from the disk?  Is there a hot key that will let me bypass a specific
> system load?

It will hang for however long the DHCP timeout is. If it is 6 minutes, your
computer will hang for 6 minutes. You can try to disable the networking for
the time being, or set the IP to static instead. When I am troubleshooting
network connections, I tend to set my IP to static. This will let me know if
I am having DHCP issues, but also usually forces itself to connect as well at
times.

> Any help would be appreciated.

May not be much, but maybe someone on here who uses wireless more then I do
will have a better answer as well. I have wifi in my Laptop and it just
works. I don't do anything, except select the network to connect to.

Richard Johnson <> nixternal at ubuntu.com
ubuntu.com <> kubuntu.com <> edubuntu.com <> xubuntu.com <> chi.ubuntu-us.com
online everywhere as nixternal
<><