Ubuntu-Chicago School troubles

RJ Marsan rjmarsan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 10 00:21:22 BST 2006

eh, we have a lawyer, and he said that no news story will help me, because
*IM* supposed to be the next news story (they are making an example out of
me)

> OK, this wasn't done over the network correct? You did this locally with a
> LiveCD? If that was the case, they have no grounds for what they did. Here
> are you other loopholes, only because whoever wrote the rules is actually
> fairly ignorant person just trying to cover their own ass.
>  * Do you guys write programs at school as part of school projects?
>     - I am pretty sure you do, so this would be against that rule as well

It was done locally under the "techhelp" account on the local windows boxes,
which was admin yet left without a password.  But since it was local, yes,
it was not done over the network at all.  Also, yes, i have written many
programs for Java and C++ that are part of my AP Java class.

> Hacking is not bad, cracking is bad. I hate the idiots who can't
distinguish
> the difference. I actually ahte even more the fact they are put in charge
> provide an education, yet they never educated themselves on said topic.

:-( it was hashed, so technically i had to crack it.  but then again, the
username wasn't

> Have you signed anything that says you will follow the rules you stated
about
> the hacking crap?

yes. but then again i never needed to, it was in the handbook we were given
at the beginning of the year.

Right now im waiting for the word on what they have decided to do to me,
they are "still investigating it" although im not sure what more there is to
investigate, i admitted everything as soon as they asked me about it.  I
even offered to help, but they didn't like that idea much...
This is homecoming weekend, and i spent most of it terrified... oh well,
live and learn.

> I hope and pray you get through this w/o trouble. I hate to say, I told
you
> so, but man, I feel bad for you. Anything we can do to help out, we are
here
> for you RJ! Take care bud!

I cant thank you all enough! (especially you nixternal)

but my parents have suggested that i find everyone i have helped and ask
them to send a letter to the principal to let her know that i am not the
"malicious hacker" they make me out to be. (her email address is
dsmith at elmhurst205.org)

anyways I thank you all for your support, please let me know any more advice
you have!