Ubuntu-Chicago Low-level coding

Eric O'Neal fyedernoggersnodden at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 19:51:56 BST 2006

Okay, call me insane, but I'm hoping to take a crack at designing a basic
(Yes, very very elementary) OS in my spare time this year.  Problem:  I
don't know assembly, I barely know C, and my knowledge of how low-level code
interacts is essentially null.  But what better learning experience for a
soon-to-be Comp Sci. freshman then to write a simple multitasking kernel,
file system, and shell?

Perhaps its too ambitious, but all the EasyOS links on the web seem to be
dead (Apparently it used to be hosted on Geocities {shiver}), and I can't
find any ASM howto's that aren't OS-taylored (Read: DOS or Linux).  Any tips
or links?  Or maybe a word of encouragement.  Or you could just tell me how
insane I am, and that I should go write a database for the on-campus daycare
or something practical like that.  Or do you think I should start with
something a little less drastic, like Linux kernel modules or something? Or
maybe "Hello World" in ASM :-P.

Cheerio,
  SigmaX

--
My home page:  http://www.SigmaX.org

"ttocs laeno cire oshkosh b'gosh fyedernoggersnodden nicht stein bon
probiscus"

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in
school"
              -- Albert Einstein