[Ubuntu-US-CA] Fwd: BALUG Tu 2013-01-15: Grant Bowman:, ubuntu-california.org Q&A; & other BALUG news (Elizabeth Krumbach)

Elizabeth Krumbach lyz at ubuntu.com
Sat Jan 12 03:43:36 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 5:03 AM, Richard Gaskin
<ambassador at fourthworld.com> wrote:
> On 1/11/13 4:00 AM, Elizabeth Krumbach wrote:
>> For our 2013-01-15 BALUG meeting, we're proud to present:
>> Elizabeth Krumbach on Linux deployments in Ghana
>> In October of 2012 Elizabeth Krumbach accompanied other volunteers from
>> Computer Reach[1], a non-profit based out of Pittsburgh, PA, on a trip
>> to Ghana in western Africa to assist with the deployment of 100
>> Edubuntu[2]-based desktop computers.  In this talk she will share
>> photos and details of the trip, along with some of the lessons they
>> learned about doing such a deployment in a developing country, covering
>> hardware, software and training requirements.  For a bit more
>> background, one can also have a look at her earlier Ubuntu User[3]
>> article: Road Trip: Delivering Edbuntu systems to Ghana[4].
> Wow.  One more reason I regret not living in the Bay area to attend that
> meeting.
> Congrats on that deployment, Elizabeth.  I hope we get a chance to talk
> about that when you're down here for SCaLE.
> Your contributions to the community have always been much appreciated, and I
> imagine it's especially gratifying to have them expand like this to a global
> scope.  Well done.  I look forward to learning more.

Thanks! It was a very exciting trip :)

If you wish to learn more before we meet again, I wrote a wrap-up upon
returning home here, which links to all the posts I wrote while

And wrote a more reflective article about it for Ubuntu User magazine
this quarter (issue 15), can download the .pdf version of it here:

Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2