[Ubuntu-US-CA] Asking For Opinion: Leadership Appointment Process

Jack Deslippe jdeslip at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 04:45:02 UTC 2010

Just a quick response to Robert:

Jack:
> I agree with you that a set of bylaws would go a long way towards
> fixing the problems I outlined above. I agree with most of your
> proposal, though as I mentioned above, I have reservations about using
> Launchpad membership as a definition of who is eligible to vote. I
> also dislike the focus on peoples' regions, as it would tend to
> further the image that we have North California vs. South California
> battles.

Having written that document many weeks ago, I am not particularly attached
to any detail of it.  I do stand behind the section "elements required for a
sufficient structure", though (i.e. assurance of equality, clear pathway to
leadership, prescription for decision making).  And, I do believe "some"
level of autonomy for different regions of the state should be included in
the bylaws, though not necessarily in a council form.  It just makes sense
that events occurring in one region shouldn't be micro-managed by people all
over the state.  (Oh God, I sound like some sort of states-righter)  But, I
imagine some level of general permission should be obtained on a state level
and then the dirty details can be left to the people participating.  This
would greatly expedite our IRC meetings which can often be epic in length.

I agree with your reservations about using the launchpad enrollment as a
membership list; however, I see no better alternative.  In general, I think
it is reasonable to leave it up to individuals to decide for themselves if
they are opinionated/involved enough to vote.  I don't think all that many
people go around voting in groups they are now at least mildly invested in.

Cheers,

Jack