[Ubuntu-US-CA] Asking For Opinion: Leadership Appointment Process

Jack Deslippe jdeslip at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 19:24:33 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I generally agree with what DW said (though the characterization of the
SoCal/NoCal mentality may be a bit simplified...).  I have always been of
the opinion that the issues and personal problems in this group derive from
a lack of a well-defined and fair structure/by-laws.  A couple months back,
I documented what I thought the root problem was and created a proposed
structure to address them.  I did not submit it to the group in deference
for the ongoing process between Neal, Grant and Jono; though I thought this
process mostly hopelessly mired in fixing ill-effects instead of the root
cause of trouble.

However, I find Jono's email from yesterday to begin to address the root
cause (the lack of well-defined structure) of our problems.  I think his
proposed leadership model would ensure equality in the group (everyone gets
to vote) and define a clear path towards leadership for those wishing to
bring change to the group.  The model, coupled with a some simple by-laws
defining membership, the role of the leader and how decisions are made
locally and statewide would in my opinion go a long way towards solving the
structural and personal problems in the group.

Here is the link to my document mentioned above for the record:
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AVvuU9dbI-YnZGhtOWh6cHZfNDNmNzRoaDNkdw&hl=en
-  I hope the forward illustrates why the problems in the group derive
from
the lack of structure.  I am by no means attached to the particular details
of the proposal in this document.  It is simply an example.  I think
supplementing Jono's proposed leadership structure with some sort of by-laws
would certainly be sufficient - without the need for council member from
each area.

If it is not clear, this email and the google-document represent my opinions
only and not those of other NoCal members.

-Jack