[Ubuntu-US-CA] Asking For Opinion: Leadership Appointment Process

Jono Bacon jono at ubuntu.com
Tue Mar 9 05:23:14 UTC 2010

Hi All,

To those of you who don't know me, I am Jono Bacon and I am the Ubuntu
Community Manager, now residing in the Easy Bay in sunny California. :-)

Aside from just being part of the team, I have also been helping to
resolve some conflict that has been happening in the team. I have had
some calls with Neal and Grant and spoken to many of you to gather your
input about the team and this conflict.

Today I had a conference call with Neal and Grant and both identified
that a key issue is that sometimes unresolved issues are left open and
not resolved. Typically in most LoCo teams in these scenarios the leader
will help unblock and bring closure to these issues. While Neal is the
leader Ubuntu California, there was some uncertaintly in our call as to
how formally recognized this is.

I made a suggestion in the call, but Grant, Neal and I all agreed that
we should not move forward with the suggestion without gathering
feedback from the team as to whether it is needed. As such, I would like
to ask each of you to provide feedback on the following suggestion -
some of you will want to mail me your feedback privately, and some will
be happy to reply to the list. Whatever method you choose: please
summarize *your* view, and not the view of someone who has asked you to
provide feedback one way or the other. The aim of this is for me to get
a barometer of opinion for this proposal.

This is it:

    I recommend we have a leadership appoint process that works like this:

        * With Neal already the leader of the team, starting from April
          1st 2010 he would start a formally recognized one year term of
          leadership (he would be grandfathered in).
        * In March 2011 a leadership appointment process will happen
          that works like this:
              o there will be an invitation for people to nominate
                themselves for leadership. There will be a standard wiki
                template used for people to produce their case for
                leadership and others will provide testimonials.
              o a meeting will be scheduled and nominations will be
                discussed, there will then be a vote using a voting tool
                to identify the leader.
              o if there is a draw or some conflict surrounding the
                vote, the LoCo Council will evaluate the case and pick a
                leader.

What do you think? Please vote with:

    * +1 - you agree with the above proposal.
    * -1 - you disagree with the above proposal.

Again, feel free to provide feedback privately to me or publicly on the
list.

Thanks!

     Jono

--