[Ubuntu-US-CA] OSCON, Power/Internet

Neal Bussett neal at bussett.com
Fri May 15 23:13:00 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 03:24:51PM -0700, Grant Bowman wrote:
> If I am reading the materials correctly (I'll read them again over the
> next days), Tricord's electricity rates seem to be $109.50 discounted
> rate for 5A / 500W of power during the show, the smallest available
> option.  I suspect this would be mighty helpful if we could make it
> happen in some way.
>
> Pricing from Tricord seems to be $895 for a 10/100 cat5 wire
> connection plus $200 for additional IP addresses provided by
> StreamLine.  The contract says an IP is required for each computer.
> This is bolded, italicized and it says regardless of NAT.  "Internet
> Access at the San Jose Convention Center is through a DS-3 (45Mb/sec)
> circuit from Allegience / XO (30 times the bandwidth of a standard T-1
> connection)."  I see no discussion (or guarantee) of bandwidth.

I don't see any particular need for internet access at all.  We'll just
have to be sure we snag all the stuff we need beforehand (isos, is there
anything else we really /need/? I don't think we need a mirror, but we
could always have one).
If we do need internet, it certainly wouldn't be for all/most of our
computers.

That being said, we should also consider the feasibility of doing a booth
with little/no power.  Do we think that would be feasible?

The only issue in my mind is the CDs.  We could batch them beforehand,
and then use a laptop or two to create custom CDs for oddball requests
(perhaps bring in a UPS or other sort of battery to help with this)?

Neal Bussett
Ubuntu California