[ubuntu-arizona] Azloco weekley meeting 11/10/2013

Todd Cole toddc at azloco.com
Mon Nov 11 04:34:31 UTC 2013

<toddc> Welcome to AZLOCO IRC Meeting Please sign in with a
+1<tuxxmann> +1<toddc> +1<Dazed_75> +1<Ron_A> =1<wmack> +1<Yawnnie>
+1<Ron_A> +1<toddc> Star Date 91465.39<toddc> Team wiki site
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArizonaTeam<toddc> Team Website is
http://azloco.org/<toddc> Team membership
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=445980<toddc>
free to make comments and add input to our meeting at anytime.<toddc>
some of us are in https://azlocobbb.banditti.com if you want to see us
or talk to us* Rich__
(6cafa4a6 at gateway/web/freenode/ip.108.175.164.166) has joined
#Ubuntu-US-AZ<toddc> lets start with the news!!<toddc> UBUNTU
NEWS<Rich__> +1<toddc> over to Dazed_75 for the news!<Dazed_75>
http://hackaday.com/2013/11/02/raspberry-pi-becomes-a-universal-translator/<Dazed_75>
http://www.daveconroy.com/turn-raspberry-pi-translator-speech-recognition-playback-60-languages/<Dazed_75>
http://www.howtogeek.com/174985/not-all-viruses-are-viruses-10-malware-terms-explained/<Dazed_75>
http://www.howtogeek.com/174419/how-to-reuse-your-old-wi-fi-router-as-a-network-switch/<Dazed_75>
http://www.howtogeek.com/175114/amazing-secret-monitor-how-to-trick/<Dazed_75>
http://www.engadget.com/2013/11/06/google-profile-photos-android-calls/<Dazed_75>
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/bug-free-linux-40<wolsen>
+1<Dazed_75> http://www.zdnet.com/ubuntu-launches-openstack-interoperability-lab-7000022843/<Dazed_75>
http://www.zdnet.com/red-hat-wants-to-be-openstacks-big-dog-7000022829/<Dazed_75>
http://www.techdirt.com/blog/wireless/articles/20131101/15353825101/patent-troll-shell-company-owned-microsoft-apple-launches-massive-patent-attack-android.shtml<Dazed_75>
http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2013/10/25/installation-and-disk-partitioning-guide-for-ubuntu-13-10/
NOTE: Not a bad article to describe the automated methods, but it
states there are better ways without giving any details<Dazed_75>
http://www.itworld.com/open-source/381593/valves-steamos-will-not-be-based-ubuntu<Dazed_75>
http://blogs.dailynews.com/click/2013/10/31/installed-whisker-menu-xfce/<Dazed_75>
http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/linux-tips/ubuntu-linux-tips/install-cairo-dock-3-3-2-in-ubuntu-13-10/<Dazed_75>
http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/linux-tips/ubuntu-linux-tips/install-everpad-2-5-6-in-ubuntu-13-10/<Dazed_75>
http://linuxblog.darkduck.com/2013/11/how-to-configure-keyboard-layouts-in-kde.html<Dazed_75>
http://linuxblog.darkduck.com/2013/10/how-to-configure-keyboard-layouts-in-unity-gnome3-kde.html<Dazed_75>
http://linuxgizmos.com/compact-box-pcs-take-linux-to-extremes/<Dazed_75>
http://l3net.wordpress.com/2013/11/03/debian-virtualization-lxc-debootstrap-filesystem/<Dazed_75>
http://thevarguy.com/open-source-application-software-companies/openwfd-aims-bring-wireless-display-streaming-tablets-pho<Dazed_75>
http://www.maketecheasier.com/run-automated-scripts-ssh/<Dazed_75>
http://www.maketecheasier.com/transfer-files-securely-using-scp/<Dazed_75>
http://www.maketecheasier.com/date-time-missing-ubuntu-1310/<Dazed_75>
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/11/ubuntu-touch-toolbar-design-change<Dazed_75>
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/11/debian-8-0-switches-xfce-default<Dazed_75>
http://www.webupd8.org/2013/11/avant-window-navigator-gets-new.html<Dazed_75>
http://www.webupd8.org/2013/11/google-calendar-indicator-020-released.html<Dazed_75>
http://www.webupd8.org/2013/11/topfeed-fancy-feed-widget-for-your.html<Dazed_75>
http://betanews.com/2013/11/07/amazons-new-graphical-cloud-helps-make-desktops-obsolete/<Dazed_75>
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-14-04-LTS-to-Have-New-GNOME-Style-Apps-397479.shtml<Dazed_75>
http://www.zdnet.com/fedora-red-hats-community-linux-turns-10-7000022895/<Dazed_75>
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTUwNTY<Dazed_75>
http://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/steam-for-linux-has-its-first-birthday-today.2678<Dazed_75>
http://xmodulo.com/2013/11/measure-packets-per-second-throughput-high-speed-network-interface.html<Dazed_75>
http://www.howtogeek.com/175083/htg-explains-do-non-windows-platforms-like-mac-android-ios-and-linux-get-viruses/<Dazed_75>
http://ubuntugenius.wordpress.com/first-stop-for-newbies/<Dazed_75>
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/11/canonical-abused-trademark-law-to-target-a-site-critical-of-ubuntu-privacy/<Dazed_75>
https://fixubuntu.com/<Dazed_75>
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Mark-Shuttleworth-Apologizes-for-the-Trademark-Infringement-Letter-Sent-to-Fixubuntu-com-398583.shtml<Dazed_75>
http://opensource.com/life/13/11/dave-crossland-history-future-open-source-fonts<Dazed_75>
http://xmodulo.com/2013/11/monitor-system-temperature-linux.html<Dazed_75>
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-13-10-Hit-by-Annoying-Unity-Freezing-Bug-397907.shtml<Dazed_75>
http://www.webupd8.org/2013/11/install-brackets-in-ubuntu-via-ppa-open.html<Dazed_75>
http://betanews.com/2013/11/08/google-takes-control-of-chrome-extensions-chrome-web-store-a-must-for-windows/<Dazed_75>
Nvidia dropping 32-bit Linux support for CUDA<Dazed_75>
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTUwODg<Dazed_75>
http://linuxgizmos.com/media-streaming-box-supports-widi-and-miracast/
OK, so where is Linux as a WiDi transmitter?<Dazed_75>
http://stop.zona-m.net/2013/11/shall-we-waste-twelve-more-years-promoting-free-office-suites-instead-of-open-office-formats/<Dazed_75>
Old news, but ...
http://xmodulo.com/2013/11/write-raspberry-pi-image-sd-card.html<Dazed_75>
http://www.zdnet.com/low-end-laptopsthe-rise-of-the-chromebook-7000022991/<Dazed_75>
http://www.itworld.com/open-source/382088/was-gimp-right-leave-sourceforge<Dazed_75>
http://fossforce.com/2013/11/poll-phone-pc-different-interfaces/<Dazed_75>
and that's it from AJ<toddc> Thank you Dazed_75 lots of good
information in there!* [R] (~rbox at unaffiliated/rbox) has joined
#Ubuntu-US-AZ<toddc> I have a few more to add<toddc> Booting Ubuntu on
the Asus Transformer Book T100<toddc>
http://liliputing.com/2013/10/booting-ubuntu-asus-transformer-book-t100.html<toddc>
Interesting facts about Ubuntu Linux<toddc>
http://xmodulo.com/2013/10/interesting-facts-ubuntu-linux.html<toddc>
TEAM NEWS<toddc> Tuesday I will again be going to the Lugy Meeting in
prescott<toddc> I will leave Az Mills at 5:00 PM if anyone would like
to ride along<toddc> see http://www.lugy.net/ for more
information<toddc> over to ZzzTuxmann<tuxxmann> We had a great
installfest at PVCC and we had about 27 people show up according to
were very happy with our turnout & look forward to another successful
turnout for december or january.<Ron_A> wish I would have been
there<tuxxmann> We did have one class from PVCC come in and watch us
install Ubuntu be installed. We also had some previous people come
back and have upgrades performed.<tuxxmann> It was definitely very
successful!!!<toddc> thanks ZzzTuxMann<xHans> outstanding<toddc> and
all those that helped out<toddc> Install-fest was full again at UAT
last week stop by this Saturday if you have time.* Rich__ has quit
(Ping timeout: 250 seconds)<toddc> I am planning on testing a new
location for the Tempe Ubuntu hour<toddc> and may be there on November
26 but I need to talk to the manager yet.<toddc> and will let you know
when and where<tuxxmann> We should know by the end of this week if we
have another installfest that occurs in december or not.<toddc> We
have canceled the following meetings and events due to holidays or
??<toddc> Tempe Ubuntu Hour Nov 28 canceled due to Thanksgiving<toddc>
December Tempe Ubuntu hour falls on December 26 the day after
Christmas and I may be still sleeping off the 25th.<toddc> JOB
list<toddc> LimeLight in Tempe is looking for a MySQL DBA remote is
OK<toddc> Contact xHans for more info<toddc> Logos Operations
Developer Logos Bible Software<toddc> devjobs at logos.com<toddc> HIRING
System Sage (Level IV Tech) (Las Vegas)<toddc>
http://www.ondemandassessment.com/verify/apply/BDyRyvR/nwPTwPa<toddc>
Level III Field Engineer / Systems Engineer (Tempe)<toddc>
http://www.greenloopsolutions.com/contact/<toddc> Runs LINUX<toddc>
Robotics CEO: 12-Year-Old Whiz As Smart As Ph.Ds<toddc>
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/this-could-be-big-abc-news/robotics-ceo-12-old-wiz-smart-ph-ds-194012375.html?vp=1<toddc>
TEMPE INSTALL-FEST<toddc> The next Azloco/plug installfests are
Saturday November 16  and Saturday December 7 at UAT 2625 W Baseline
Rd 85283 Tempe across from Fry's Electronics 10AM to 4PM Room 245 48st
and Baseline Rd enter from the rear of the front building.<toddc> For
more information see calender at
http://www.azloco.org/?q=node/28<toddc> We will also be streaming all
events on http://azlocobbb.banditti.com/<toddc> If you have time or
want to meet any of us or have problems feel free to show up.<toddc>
There is also a TechPHX at the UAT the same day and we have offered to
open the doors<toddc> but I have not heard back yet!<toddc> TEMPE
UBUNTU HOUR<toddc> the November Ubuntu hour is canceled due to
thanksgiving the next Tempe Ubuntu hour is<toddc> Thursday December 26
is the next Ubuntu Hour at Extreme Bean in Tempe southern and
McClintock<toddc> http://xtremebeancoffee.com<toddc> this a 1-2 hour
social hour to meet new/old users and chat about linux and open
source. Stop by and say hi!!<toddc> WEST SIDE UBUNTU HOUR<toddc>
Wednesday December 4th  7pm – 9pm<toddc> Starbucks Coffee 13472 West
Bell Road, Surprise, AZ 85374, USA , Arizona<toddc> If you are
interested in Linux Ubuntu or open source Stop by and say hi to some
other users and find out who what and where and how. to install use
and promote Linux and open source.<toddc> There were 8-9 people at
November's event this has started out as a great event.<toddc> UBUNTU
http://ubuntuonair.com/calendar/<toddc> Weekly Ubuntu Webcast Tuesday
with Jono Bacon 11:00 AM<toddc> Jono Bacon Q&A every Wednesday 12:00
Noon<toddc> Juju Charm School: Chef/Puppet Integration Wednesday 9-11
AM<toddc> FUTURE EVENTS<toddc> Any thoughts on other events or
projects???<toddc> over to xHans for the plug dates and events<xHans>
danke<xHans> PLUG east side meeting this Thursday<xHans> The
presentation will be on SaltStack by Michael March<xHans> He is one of
the original 7 PLUG members and hosted PLUG's first Installfest<xHans>
http://phxlinux.org/meetings/14-east-valley-meeting/78-plug-topic-for-11-14.html<xHans>
https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/118370136707822714534/events/chtcir6p7laaeqg7j65l77mvf3s<xHans>
Maker summit is the same day during the day<xHans>
http://makersummit.eventbrite.com/<xHans> congrats and thanks again
from PLUG for the successful new Installfest at PVCC!<xHans> and
that's it for this week<toddc> thanks xHans<toddc> that is all I have
any questions or comments or other news or ideas?<tuxxmann> thanks
xHans for helping to set that up. It has gone very smooth.<toddc>
Thanks for coming tonight. I will be here a while if anyone needs help
or has a question<tuxxmann> adios all!

--
Todd Cole
Ubuntu Arizona Team