[LoCo-US-AL] US AL LoCo IRC Meeting Summarization -- 9/25/2008

Jonathan Traylor jtraylor+ubuntu-us-al at networkinglinux.net
Sun Sep 28 08:33:45 BST 2008

Hello everyone,

Here is my summary of last week's IRC meeting topics that were discussed.

Face to Face (f2f) Meetings

Since the location information we have on about current team
memberships are pretty state regionally diverse, let's see if what
it's going to take to drum up enough local activity to have monthly
f2f meetings. Basically, these have generally been a leisurely monthly
meeting, lasting a couple of hours where attending members sit around
and discuss all things Ubuntu, while having a meal. Additional ideas
for a monthly f2f can include a speaker for a hot topic somewhere in
the Ubuntu universe (not the repo, literally) for 25%-50% of the
meeting time.

However, the meetings format is still fairly open to interpretation.

Also if you aren't already on the LoCo map, please post to the team
forum LoCo map[1] thread so you may be added and we can help you and
your area grow with Ubuntu users.

[1] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=592390

Call for Ubuntu Bloggers

If you write, or would like to write something about Ubuntu, you believe
others would benefit from, please join our blogger sub-team! It's a
great way to get your prose out there while helping others in the
process of your own growth.

Items I feel would be particularly beneficial are:

- A way to fix something trivial or complex
- New hardware support announce (graphics, bus, etc)
- View points on Ubuntu, FSF
- New benefits of Ubuntu and GNU/Linux
- Alabama's F/OSS interest and adoption
- Your environment's F/OSS interest, adoption, and experiences
- Spreading the seed (Further news dissemination on F/OSS)
- Just about anything... everyone else is doing it.

Let us know your blog's feed if you would like them to be syndicated with
the team's page[1].

[1] http://www.alabamaubuntu.org/

Intrepid Ibex InstallFest

Initial thoughts and discussion commenced over the US-AL LoCo InstallFest
later this year for the upcoming release of Intrepid Ibex in October
began at last week's meeting. it will be an ongoing discussion with
further planning and action of the event at following weekly IRC meetings
over the next month or so.

Starting with this InstallFest, we are asking for volunteers who would
like to give a presentation at the InstallFest. Topics can be general
to intensely focused on particular uses and features of Ubuntu. As a
general rule, each presentation should probably last 30 minutes to an
hour, including Q&A session for crowd participation.

If you're interested in doing a presentation, reply on list.

The InstallFest time, date, and location will likely be about a 6 hour
long session, one of the last 3 Saturday's in November, centrally
located in Birmingham, AL. The vagueness will be clarified in coming
weeks as plans are solidified...

Start thinking of places that many of you feel would be good crowd
advertising for Ubuntu InstallFest flyers (college boards, public
libraries, etc). We'll print some up and send a stack to pin up.

9/25/2008 IRC Meeting Logs Now Online

Meeting logs can be found at:

http://logs.planetalabama.org/

Let's give our continued interest to make our choice of software the best
choice of software!

Until next time, thanks ya'll,

--
Jonathan Traylor