[LoCo-US-AL] [BALU] Linux Proficiency

Thomas Stover thomas at wsinnovations.com
Fri Dec 19 06:19:18 GMT 2008

    I'll start with a rhetorical question. What does being proficient at
computers mean? Exactly, nothing - that's way to open ended. What are
you more interested in? At a certain point that is all you have to go
about the answer to your question. To put it another way, the only way
you will ever be worth a salt at anything you do of course is to explore
and follow the things you find a passion about. That never stops. At
some point along the way you just step back and go, "hey you know there
sure is allot of stuff I know". That sounds like what you are doing
already. Just keep going. Now if some more specific things don't come to
mind right away, that's fine. All that means is that for now you want to
explore what some of the worlds are underneath that next layer.
    For instance, step way back and look at it in maybe a new way. What
intrigues you about this whole linux thing anyway?

- The power it gives you to put together an applied end result? Like wow
we did that job for $30,000 less than the other crappy way.

- Where does it come from? How to mold it to my designs? How to create
things leveraging tools and knowledge from that world?

- What are other people doing with it? How exactly does it make so much
of the internet work? How is it used for research, or business? How do
you do something you would do with another OS the linux way?

- How does it work? What's under the hood? What is are all the moving
parts doing?

Start with questions like that. I bet everybody on this list has a
different idea about what linux (and the worlds of related software we
always lump in there implicitly by that word) is.

Another way to look at it is that really tons of linux stuff isn't
really linux stuff at all. It applies all over the place. TCP/IP &
network in general, Software development, unix-ish system
administration, server infrastructure stuff like storage networks /
redundancy / fail over & load balancing, etc...