[ubuntu-uk] Booting ubuntu 18.04 - problems

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed May 9 12:59:15 UTC 2018

On Wed, 9 May 2018 at 13:23, Paul Sutton <zleap at zleap.net> wrote:

> On 09/05/18 11:22, Liam Proven wrote:

> > Which file?

> Any file which is saved under a dual boot system.

Yeah, I think we understood that. :-) What I meant is this: are there any
particular files that you think may be useful to aid troubleshooting?

> However as I replaced
> ubuntu 18.04 with lubntu 18.04 which is working fine, I am trying to use
> a netbook to investigate this issue further.

OK, I think.

> > Also, this means that Mint works fine? Which version of Mint?
> >
> 18.3 64bit

Which desktop, though?

Mint mainly offers Cinnamon and Maté.

Maté is a fork of GNOME 2. It does not need OpenGL compositing but it can
use it if you enable it.

Cinnamon is a fork of GNOME 3. It requires OpenGL compositing.

So does generic Ubuntu now, as 17.10 and 18.04 use GNOME 3.

If you are using Maté or another desktop, and it works fine, like Lubuntu
(because LXDE doesn't need OpenGL either), then this points to a GPU or GPU
driver problem.

If you  are using Cinnamon, it doesn't.

> I have a PC dualbooting with Linux mint 18.3 and Lubuntu, I replaced
> Ubuntu 18.04 which wasn't working with Lubuntu which does work.

OK.

Silly question: why not just use Lubuntu then?

It's a Core 2 Duo, right? So it's quite old -- probably about a decade.
Lubuntu or Xubuntu are better fits than the full-fat GNOME 3 version.

> I then decided to install Ubuntu 18.04 on to a netbook,  this still
> stops part way through booting (in the same place).  However it does
> mean I can work on this problem on a netbook. and still use my main
> system to ask for help.

Is it an old Atom-powered one? If so, again, I'd recommend Lubuntu or
Xubuntu.

> I switch on,  press esc to get text output and it stops after
> [ ok ] started user manager for uid 120

> this is a block of messages starting with
> gdm.servicegdm.service

> there is no indication that any of the services within this have failed
> (all have [ ok ]

> At this point,  the system just ctrl-alt-f1

I think there was a word missing there. The system just *what* Alt-f1?

> alt-sysrq RSEIUB work,  so that does suggest that the kernel (and other
> processes) are still running in the background and listening for those
> key presses,

Agreed.

I am still suspecting GPU issues at this point.

> I also get a mouse pointer up (so it is probably a good 95+ percent in
> to getting a gui displayed) not that the mouse pointer moves with the
> trackpad.

That sounds like it froze. Also that it's unresponsive to Ctrl+Alt+F-keys.

> The netbook has an ip address, so I tried to ssh in, but this failed
> with connection refused, as I guess ssh-server isn't running, which was
> worth a try.

> I can get in to recovery mode fine so am in that now,  so will try doing
> the update.

You might be able to install the SSH server in recovery mode.

Also, it's worth upgrading the firmware on both, if any update is available.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • Google Mail/Hangouts/Plus: lproven at gmail.com
Twitter/Facebook/Flickr: lproven • Skype/LinkedIn: liamproven
UK: +44 7939-087884 • ČR (+ WhatsApp/Telegram/Signal): +420 702 829 053