[ubuntu-uk] Strange problem with Firefox in 15.04 and later ...

Barry Drake ubuntu-advertising at gmx.com
Sat Feb 27 11:21:32 UTC 2016

On 26/02/16 20:37, Barry Drake wrote:
> Hi Simon ....  I didn't know that.  Looks like I have a few more
> scripts to look through.  There are a fair few of them.  I might fire
> up 14.04 again tomorrow and see what's happening on port 59234.
I've found out exactly where the problem exists.  I've put the relevant
fragments of the three scripts involved below.  The main thing is that
the platform.sh script has a call to initctl, which no longer exists.
This seems to be where the listen for port 59234 is supposed be set.  Is
there a replacement for what is presumably a deprecated call?  It seems
to work OK in 14.04.

In main setup script:

for service in $SERVICES; do
             if [ $service = "web" ]; then
                 sleep 2
                 outfn=$(util_mktemp /tmp/testweb.XXXXXX)
                 if ! util_test_url
"http://127.0.0.1:$(get_webui_port)/" 1 10 "$outfn"; then
                     echo "Web service is not healthy" 1>&2
                     cat "$outfn" 1>&2
                 fi

In 'base' script:
get_webui_port()
{
     if [ -z "$SYMFORM_WEB_UI_PORT" ]; then
         echo "59234"
     else
         echo "$SYMFORM_WEB_UI_PORT"
     fi
}

In 'platform'script:
if [ -d /etc/init -a -f /sbin/initctl ]; then
     . "/opt/symform/scripts/platform/upstart.sh"
elif [ -d /etc/systemd -a -f /bin/systemctl ]; then
     . "/opt/symform/scripts/platform/systemd.sh"
else
     . "/opt/symform/scripts/platform/systemv.sh"
fi

This is where the script fails: the command 'initctl' no longer exists,
and the script fails with an error message 'No command 'initctl:' found,
did you mean:
Command 'initctl' from package 'upstart' (main)
initctl:: command not found'

Regards,        Barry.

--
http://barrydrake.co.nr/