[ubuntu-uk] Messed up upgrade from 14.04 to 16.04

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Mon Aug 1 09:11:48 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 1 August 2016 at 10:00, Michael <Michael.Penllergaer at btinternet.com> wrote:
> The update14.04-16-04,  was writing updated files when it stopped, a restart
> just defaults to login and login to the terminal command prompt. The help
> option delivers a screen full, I do not know if one of the options will
> help.

If it barfed part way through, then it may be possible to encourage it
to finish the job.

At the command line terminal window, login using your
username/password. Then once you get logged in, issue this command:-

sudo dpkg --configure -a

(that's sudo space dpkg space dash dash configure space dash lower-case-a).

It should start chugging away continuing the upgrade. If it just ends
immediately with no output then the upgrade may have finished, but
something is missing. In that event, assuming you use Ubuntu (with
Unity) desktop I would issue:-

sudo apt install ubuntu-desktop^

(sudo space apt space install space ubuntu dash desktop caret) (the
caret is important).

If that does indeed install more stuff then that may be sufficient to
have 'fixed' it.

If the first command (the dpkg one) *did* produce a chunk of output -
like telling you it's installing / upgrading packages, then it may not
be necessary to run the second command.

If you have run the above process, then I'd restart "sudo reboot"
(sudo space reboot), and see if it is fixed.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,
Al.